Pages

Friday, December 2, 2022

Database Project Reflections 12.2.22

Describe your understanding of relational databases versus spreadsheet

Spreadsheets have raw data that are categorized. Spreadsheets can be used to do calculations with the data. Relational databases can connect the data from spreadsheets and show the relationships between specific pieces of the data. 

Provide an overview of the database class project
The database project was to create a database from data found on the corgis site. After picking a topic that you were interested in (I picked broadway), we used DB Browser for SQLite to make the database. We arranged the data in an ER diagram and used the ER Diagram to organize the data into csv files. We created tables and queries with commands. Then the csv files were put back into the database to fill in the tables.      

What did you learn about databases through the application of the concepts on the project? 

I learned that organization really matter. I put my table in the csv in the wrong order and it did not match up to the order in database table. Also that consistency matters. You can mess up the data is you change the name of a category or even spell it wrong.

Has learning about databases influenced your future plans? 

I am not sure if I can say it has. It was interesting to learn but in my whole degree, I have never learned how to create a database until this class. I think the lesson we had on spreadsheets were more beneficial to me and my future path. But now I can say I can make a database and can add that to my skill sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment